Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Naxos

I am do impressed with the location of my hotel in Naxos. It is very basic - not at all flashy Santorini style, but it is on the Main Street with a balcony overlooking the water. What more could I want, really?


I arrived, checked in, freshened up and walked down towards the remains of Apollo's Temple. It was perfect timing as the sun started to set.





The view back towards Chora (Naxos City) was also stunning.


Wandering through the town I came across a statue of a headless female. I'm guessing it is Ariadne, who was abandoned on Naxos by Theseus after helping him defeat the Minotaur . There are a few versions of what happened to her after that. She was:

(I) swept off her feet by Dionysus, or
(II) found hanging from a tree or was killed by Perseus, or
(III) raised from her life of abandoned misery, and ascended into heaven.


This is all well and good, but look at the Octopus hanging outside this taverna. We all know what their fate will be.


I walked back towards my hotel and up into the old market area. It is so very pretty, once you see past the tourist souvenir rubbish being sold there.


I stopped finally and had dinner at a restaurant called 'Popi's Grill'. On the menu tonight was lemony grilled lamb with potato and tzatziki. The tzatziki in Oia was better. When I'd done, though, the woman who ran the place brought me a small plate of the best yoghurt I've ever eaten. It was thick and creamy and flavoured with Naxos Honey and Lemon. It was like a cheesecake on a plate. I want to bathe in that stuff.

11pm and as the town starts to come alive I need to crash. I'm exhausted.





No comments:

Post a Comment