Friday, June 14, 2013

The Aegean

After waking up to a beautiful blue sky, I made my way down to Agios Georgios, the 'city' beach. 

I first wondered how long it would take to walk to the next set of beaches, and so started the journey, giving up after about an hour when I reached the rocky outpost that separates  the beaches. I headed back to Agios Georgios knowing it wasn't the best beach on the Island but it was still pretty and quiet.

I hired an umbrella and sun lounge from a fancy beachside cafe called ippocampus and settled in with a pulpy cold fresh apple juice.


This was my first experience of swimming in these blue blue waters (Santorini beaches aren't really great). The water was so clear, the sand seemed to have glitter in it and fish large and small swim around me without care. The water warm, but only in the first few metres closest to the shore. 

I wallowed in the shallows.

It was really lovely.


The test of my day was spent staring up at the sky, reading, snoozing, people watching, and just generally relaxing. 


It was really really lovely.

I finished the day off with a big lunch at a taverna on the other end of the beach. €15 for this mezze plate with a quarter litre of white wine. 


I couldn't finish it and I didn't need dinner later on. Good stuff.




No comments:

Post a Comment