Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Spoleto, Italy

Spoleto is a town that sits halfway between Rome and Florence in Umbria. It is made up of two parts - the old city with buildings and archways dating back to the 1st century b.c, and the new town which has shown me nothing but a supermarket and the railway station. Like in the old towns I visited in Greece, the town is built on a steep hill, with a fortressed castle at the top. The streets and alleyways wind around the hill in some of the steepest climbs I've seen on this trip, but it is just so pretty that the elevated heart rate doesn't matter or maybe it is the heart rate that heightens the prettiness.


The old town is spotted with shops selling goods that are 'typically Umbrian', as well as beautiful little perfume, homewares and cashmere shops. 


We are staying just around the corner from the duomo, which is perched almost on top of the hill. Our apartment is the next building to the right of this shot, and a little further up the hill. Luke was sporting his €6 faux ray bans I bought him in Greece.


Inside the duomo it was so cool and quiet. One of the unique characteristics of Italian towns like this is the way sounds travel so readily. There is a man who whistles as he walks past our apartment in the morning, mimicking the songs of local birds. Every time I think he is close to our apartment I stick my head out the window to see him but never do. He could be streets away, but the way the sound carries across he sounds as if he could be in the next room.

The duomo had no such issues, and was pleasant respite from the humid 35 degree day. I could become a catholic yet, especially if the weather keeps up this way!


The frescoes below we're painted by Fra Lippo Lippi - scenes from the life of the Virgin Mary. They spread across the walls behind the altar.


This is supposedly the painting of the Virgin Mary that was done by St Luke. It sat in its own chapel to the side of the main church.


A fearful lion on one of the frescoes.


Luke admiring the art, with basil.


Luke being a pom in Italy.


Italian selfie.


My first Italian coffee, in a cafe outside the duomo.


Luke then took me into the theatre in which his opera is being performed. It looked like it was right out of some period film, and I could imagine it full of ladies and gentlemen in fancy clothes carrying opera glasses. It is slowly being restored by the Italian designer Fende. I wish I was staying for opening night!



Lunch at the apartment. Tomato, fennel, prosciutto, cheese, bread, olives, olive oil and balsamic. 


I am sitting in a cafe listening to an Italian version of 'Don't dream its over'. I feel homesick.












1 comment: